Spending more time trying to fall asleep rather than actually sleeping? You’re not alone. Just the act of trying too hard can cause (or continue) a cycle of anxious, nerve-wracking energy that keeps our minds awake. And if your mind can’t sleep, it’s really difficult for your body to follow. But there are scientific tricks you can try to flip the switch and guide your body into a safe shut down mode. We cover some science-based tricks to help you fall asleep faster.
How to sleep only in 10 seconds
It usually takes a magic spell to fall asleep this quickly and on cue, but just like spells, with practice you can eventually get to the sweet 10-second spot
The military method
The popular military method, which was first reported by Sharon Ackerman, comes from a book titled “Relax and Win: Championship Performance.” According to Ackerman, the U.S. Navy Pre-Flight School created a routine to help pilots fall asleep in 2 minutes or less. It took pilots about six weeks of practice, but it worked — even after drinking coffee and with gunfire noises in the background. This practice is said to even work for people who need to sleep sitting up!
- Relax your entire face, including the muscles inside your mouth.
- Drop your shoulders to release the tension and let your hands drop to the side of your body.
- Exhale, relaxing your chest.
- Relax your legs, thighs, and calves.
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds by imagining a relaxing scene.
- If this doesn’t work, try saying the words “don’t think” over and over for 10 seconds.
- Within 10 seconds, you should fall asleep!
If this doesn’t work for you, you may need to work on: breathing and muscle relaxation.This military method is based on and how to practice them effectively.